The archaeogical museum of Astros

The archaeological museum of Astros

The archaeological museum of Astros is located in the centre of Astros, at the Karitsioti square. The building was built in 1805 by Dimitrios Karitsiotis and ran as a college for the area. Next to it, in April 1823, the 2nd National Assembly took place with important politicians and generals from the Greek revolution. The college was destroyed in 1826 by Ibrahem but hopefully it was reconstructed by Karitsiotis' relatives.
This traditional, preserved building started to run as a museum in 1959. After the excavation in the villa of Erodis Atticus in Eva, near Doliana, a lot of important findingσ from the ancient times have been added.
The museum contains collections of:
  • Architectural parts of the villa of Herodes Atticus at Eva Dolianon
  • Findings, mostly ceramics from cemeteries of Hellenistic date
  • Small findings and coins from various areas at Kynouria
  • Inscriptions from various areas of Kynouria
  • Bronze dedications